On 09/16/2011 08:48 PM, Frederick, Michael wrote:
There is a subcommand/setting in (SLES9/10/11) FTP called "preserve",
which says whether or not the timestamp on the file when you transfer
it gets rewritten or not.  It is defaulted such that the timestamp on
a 'get' remains the same.

I have been asked if there is a way (other than issuing 'preserve
off') to set this via some '.ftp_profile' or configuration file.  I
know that I could download the FTP source, find the setting in there,
change it, and recompile the program, but I would think there'd be an
easier way.  Can anyone think of how you would do this?

I don't know anything about the particular preserve option. However,
the traditional ftp client reads ~/.netrc (man 5 netrc), where you can specify users and passwords to use with certain hosts, plus defining macros with "macdef", where the special macro named "init" gets executed automatically on successful login to an ftp host. Maybe you can use this to set the preserve thingy. With the lftp client, there's additionally ~/.lftprc and ~/.lftp/rc and the system-wide /etc/lftp.conf and there seem to be options like ftp:use-mdtm [http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3659#section-3].

On the server side, things most probably depend on the specific ftpd implementation. E.g. I found an mdtm_write option with vsftpd with which you can disable the use of the MDTM ftp command to set file modification times (on the server side).

Apparently, things depend on the direction of transfer and are not straight-forward according to http://www.rjh.org.uk/ftp-report.html.

Steffen

Linux on System z Development

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen