We use the RDR for that. We send a file to the linux guest. On the
console it is noted that a rdr file has arrived. The console automation
(PROP) triggers a script that processes RDR files. The script determines
what the name and origin for the file is and based on a config file it
can run various scripts depending on the filename/origin it has to
process. And no cron is needed for this.

Regards, Berry.