Simpliest way that I can think of is if you know the old addresses. Create an
LPAR definition in the IOCDS which assigns the old device numbers (UCB
addresses) to the old volumes. There is __NO__ inherent need to make the device
numbers for a given physical volume be the same in all LPARs. The IOCDS can
make any physical device have any device number you like. Remember that it
works a bit like VM (since it was based originally on VM code, or so I was
told). Since this is "stand alone", no confusion should occur. You can then IPL
the z/Linux and change it. Then update the IOCDS to have the "new" device
numbers. But there is no __inherint__ need to do this. It'll run fine on the
"old" addresses. But it would likely be less confusing to others if they agreed.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group