From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of
McKown, John
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:05 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Question of UTC vs Local Time

If you're application is requesing local time and you set up the
TIMEZONE information correctly, then I doubt you'd see any problem. The
problems occur if the application requests GMT time or does the
assembler STCK or STCKE instruction to get the TOD clock from the
hardware directly.

You mentioned z/OS, which I'm better at than z/Linux. The only problem
that I can foresee is if you change the TOD clock to "move backwards"
and your running in a z/OS sysplex. You __cannot__ back up the TOD clock
in a sysplex. Period. End of discussion. There are two things which you
can do. One is to simply wait for "n" hours for the GMT version of the
TOD clock to move forward from the local TOD clock time (US EST would be
a >5 hour wait). This is not likely to go over well with management.
<grin>. The reasonable thing to do is to create an entirely new, and
unused, version of all your couple datasets and use the new versions on
the IPL after the TOD is set to GMT.

Oh, and watch out for database software such as DB2. It uses TOD
timestamps instead of local time. But I don't know enough about DB2 to
know what happens if the TOD "backs up".

I will allow the gurus of Linux to talk about the impact in Linux. I'm
too ignorant.

--

John McKown

Systems Engineer IV

IT

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone *

proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the
original message. HealthMarkets(r) is the brand name for products
underwritten and issued by the insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets,
Inc. -The Chesapeake Life Insurance Company(r), Mid-West National Life
Insurance Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA Life and Health Insurance
Company.SM