Smith, Ann (ISD, IT) writes:
> They have tried diff.

As John says, GNU diff, as available on any Linux, provides a lot
of powerful functions include recursion support (specified
explicitly via the -r option). I'd encourage anyone using diff to
use the "-u" option to provide "unidiff" format output which is
much more human-readable and provides more context information used
by patching software to behave more robustly in the face of
applying patches to "slightly modified" files. Using diff to do
"diff -ur dir1 dir2" and such like is something I do fairly
frequently and I've never found any glaring omissions in its
functionality.

> Has some functions but appareently not all that dircmp -d provides.

What functionality do they think is missing from GNU diff?
I wouldn't be surprised if education plus possibly some minor
pre/post-processing with other utilities solved their problems.

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie
Mainframe Systems and Software Business, Europe