On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Damian Gallagher
<damian.gallag...@oracle.com> wrote:

> There is a difference between the installation requirements and the runtime,
> as is usual. Installation requires x , but runtime doesn't - and the docs
> state 4GB as that's the amount needed to get a full install. If you're a min
> install, you might get away with 2GB without swapping to hard, but there we
> go. Once you've done the install, of course X isn't needed, but that will be
> for patching perhaps :-)
>
> Once you're into runtime, then YYMV -  it's your workload that generates the
> resource usage.

You're a brave man to stand straight like that with the guns pointed... ;-)

I think one needs to be very determined to go and uninstall packages
after installing Oracle (which AFAIK includes a check on whether you
have the proper stuff installed). It's tedious with YAST to say the
least, and your suggestion that I'd have to re-install stuff to apply
maintenance does not really help.

Doing the Oracle install with the GUI over a ssh -X connection to a
remote system was far from pleasant. It seems to me that it would be
helpful to be able to do the installation with an ncurses client and
maybe even a response file. Alternatively, get the web server up early
and drive the process through that.

-Rob