On Friday, 01/20/2012 at 04:38 EST, bruce.light...@its.ms.gov wrote:

> The first 8 guests work just fine - z/OS IP address is 192.168.4.2 and
the
> guests are 192.168.4.xxx and all are using CHPID E8
> After the 8 guests are defined, we are out of E8 triplets so we give the
> next 2 E9xx triplets.
> The z/OS stack has E9 defined and started as 192.168.4.3.
> The 2 new guests can ping themselves but not the z/OS, z/OS can ping
itself
> but not the 2 new guests - the 8 guests on E8 are no problem but no joy
> going to E9 .
> Changing the dedicate statement for the guest to use EAxx also gets no
joy
> - even though the z/OS thinks it has EA at 192.168.4.4
> The redbook for hipersockets isn't helping today - nor is the
> communications server manual.
>
> I'm sure that this is something blindingly simple but I just don't see
it -
> would someone please point this dba who is subbing as a sysprog in the
> right direction.

You're right, it's simple.  That said, it's not obvious.  But since you're
just subbing, all is forgiven.  :-)

Each HiperSocket chpid is its own LAN segment.  They are not bridged
together.  So the hosts using E8 have to go through a *router* (e.g.
Linux, z/OS, z/VM) to get a host attached to E9 or EA.

If you run out of triplets, you need to define more.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556