Berry van Sleeuwen writes:
> In a discussion with our Oracle group they claim that there is no
> support for Oracle in virtual systems and that they therefore will
> not support on virtual systems too. So when a (performance) problem
> is found they first advise to migrate to a dedicated server, and
> increase resources, before they attempt to solve the problem. This
> is not (only) true for z but also for other virtual systems as
> well, we discovered this because of the advice to migrate off of
> cloud systems. So basically any 'cloud' service is not advised to
> run Oracle.
[...]
> Can anyone confirm this statement? Is it Oracle or is it the
> interpretation or our Oracle group? Is there a formal statement
> from Oracle itself?

I'm not Oracle and I should think you'll get an official response
soon, but just to give you the good news as soon as possible: I've
seen public statements from Oracle that System z virtualisation is
handled specially by them and is fully supported, unlike most other
virtualisation. The nearest public statement I find to hand I have
is the 11th foil (labelled 22) of Oracle's SHARE presentation from
13 August 2008, titled "Virtualizing Oracle Servers with Linux on
IBM System z" by Barry Perkins of Oracle and IBM's own Kathryn Arrell
which says:

    IBM System z Server Virtualization – A Proven Platform
    System z virtualization is fully supported by Oracle
         Database, Real Application Clusters, Fusion middleware

(and that statement is highlighted in red to indicate its
importance).

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie
Mainframe Systems and Software Business, Europe