On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Damian Gallagher
<damian.gallag...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Well, it's important to understand what we mean by " long idle periods on the
> database engine " - in the case of Oracle, the majority of the user work is
> done by the user process, rather than a centralised engine, and that user
> process is typically only active 1-5% of the time in an OLTP system - leaving
> plenty of opportunity to manage the PGA.

I'm afraid I encouraged you by mentioning the SGA and PGA and my
statements were too generic to justify that. I was painting the
simplified picture of a workload that needs all memory when active and
nothing when idle. You're right that on a finer level the workload
consists of different portions of virtual machine memory, each with
their own utilization and duty cycle. But as long as something is
active in the virtual machine, z/VM memory management will try to
leave the virtual machine alone since it's "still working on it."
This means that combining different workloads in a single guest make
it more expensive.

The issue has lots of variables and is too complicated to resolve in
few emails on the list (apart from boring many people to death). I
think it would be very good if some of us would be able to discuss
this over a beer or two. I'm game if we can come up with a venue.

Rob