-----Mensagem original-----
De: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] Em nome de RPN01
Enviada em: segunda-feira, 19 de março de 2012 18:08
Para: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Assunto: Re: RES: Emergency

I'm assuming that the disks that were scratched were the ones on the "old"
side of the migration, and without useful backups, I'd have to say that
you're probably out of luck at this point. I would have thought that there'd
have been several points in this process where the system pointed out to the
Systems Programmer that he was aiming the gun directly at his foot, long
before he pulled the trigger. ("This device is mounted, do you really want
to do this?" type messages...) Then again, I can also see how I could
"trick" the system into doing it, via some ill-advised MW links, so....

You needed to check your backups before you ever mounted the first disk to
begin the migration. Always have a verified plan for failure before
beginning any potentially dangerous project.

At this point, recreate the system on the new disks and see what people can
recover / recreate their files and work, and hope for the best. Fire the
people who told you they were backing up your system. Learn from the
experience to always test your backups and recovery procedures periodically.

Sadly, all the cards were stacked against you.

Having said all this, I managed to write over our zOS DB2 data this last
summer during a disk migration. (But the zLinux data was all safe and
protected... :) You really have to check what you're about to do several
times before actually doing it, and even then, crossing your fingers doesn't
hurt.

--
Robert P. Nix          Mayo Foundation        .~.
RO-OC-1-18             200 First Street SW    /V\

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or