>>> On 3/20/2012 at 05:50 PM, Grzegorz Powiedziuk <gpowiedz...@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
-snip-
> I decided to (for now) use EDEVICE attached to linux guest (without
> minidisks).

But EDEVs look like mindisks to the guest.

> Sles11 instalator, can see it but it is unable to format it (!?). Format
> exits with error code 1.

FBA disks don't require formatting, and dasdfmt is coded to exit with an error
if you try.

> It doesn't allow me create any partitions. My hands are tied, don't know
> what to do.

The dasd_fba_mod driver automagically creates one partition that spans the
entire minidisk.  That's all you get.

> Disk is fine I guess. I was able to format it with cpfmtxa and with cms
> format command.
>
> I wonder if sles instalator is trying to use fdasd instead of fdisk...

Probably not, since neither one will work with FBA disks.

> Do you know what I am doing wrong?
>
> Do I have to create a separate minidisk for each filesystem? I'd like to
> avoid that...

Yes, you would.  That's the whole idea of EDEVs.  You let z/VM manage the SCSI
part, and Linux treats it just like VDISK, for example.

I have an EDEV presented to one of my guests at Marist College as an FBA
minidisk.  It works just fine, but I'm not doing a whole lot of I/O against it
either.  If you can absorb the performance hit, it does make things a lot
simpler to manage.  On my test systems within SUSE, I don't have any EDEVs,
just SCSI over FCP.  That also works just fine, but I'm not dealing with tens
or hundreds of guests, disaster recovery, etc.  My recommendation would be to
do the management where you have the deepest skills, whether that's z/VM or
Linux (assuming performance is acceptable).