>>> On 3/30/2012 at 11:31 AM, Lee Stewart <lstewart.dsgr...@attglobal.net>
>>> wrote:
> I've been trying to think of any reason to ever have cio_ignore in a VM
> guest.   I can see real use for it in an LPAR where you may have
> thousands of devices that have nothing to do with the Linux instance.
> But in a virtual machine I only give it the devices I want it to have in
> the first place.

I'm guessing this is a Red Hat customer, correct?  (I'm pretty sure we don't
ship that as a default).

I can't/won't speak for Red Hat, but like you I don't see a good reason to do
that in a z/VM guest by default.  Since the distribution provider can't know
ahead of time what environment is going to be used for the install, it's not a
bad default.  LPAR customers tend to have thousands of devices genned, as you
said.  I think for a z/VM guest, it would be safe to remove it.