cio_ignore=all,!009
appears to be the default, at least on RH 6.2...  Certainly not added by
us...
Lee

On 3/30/2012 10:59 AM, Sebastian Ott wrote:
Lee,

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Lee Stewart wrote:
Hi all,
I've been trying to think of any reason to ever have cio_ignore in a VM
guest.   I can see real use for it in an LPAR where you may have
thousands of devices that have nothing to do with the Linux instance.
But in a virtual machine I only give it the devices I want it to have in
the first place.

Teaching it to new comers, they can easily understand chccwdev -e as the
logical equivalent of varying something online to VM or z/OS.  With
having to issue a cio_ignore -r then a chccwdev -e I keep getting asked
why they have to vary it online twice.  And I don't have any good answer...

Thoughts?  Insights?

With cio_ignore you can modify the device blacklist. The reason you have
to remove a device from the blacklist before you can use it is that you
have added the device to the blacklist in the first place.

So either you did a "cio_ignore --add" earlier or you have set the
cio_ignore kernel parameter (most likely the latter).

If you want linux to use all available device simply remove the cio_ignore
kernel parameter.

Regards,
Sebastian

Thanks,