On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Shane G <ibm-m...@tpg.com.au> wrote:
> <heresy>
> Why not indeed.
> Hipervisors are becoming a commodity item. IBM (and its ISVs) has fought
> rear-guard actions on (costly) proprietary options in the past.
> And lost.
> Anyone remember SNA ?. Token-ring ?.
> Maybe IBM were ahead of their time with VIF - time for a resurrection maybe ?.
>
> Instead of trying to force users to conform to z/VM, maybe the powers that be
> should be looking to contribute useful metrics upstream, and merely make z/VM
> a generic hipervisor so users can concentrate on the things that earn them a
> buck.
> Or just toss it all in and get the z KVM module up to spec.
> </heresy>

Heretic ... welcome to z/VM.  We're all a bit heretical here.

Shane, many of us will agree with your overall purpose (standardized
metrics).  But two things to note: z/VM is already better instrumented
than the other hypervisors, and mapping metrics is a small matter of
programming.

I'm excited about virtualization on other platforms, used VMware as
far back as beta 1.0, and use Xen for production services on my home
network.  WHAT I MISS, and have sought since first downloading VMware,
is controls ... an API, a CLI, and a way for the guest to reliably
signal the host.  Some things are only just now beginning to appear,
even monitoring.

As a community, we need to enumerate the vital features of z/VM and
require them from the others.

-- R;
Rick Troth
Velocity Software