On Friday, 04/13/2012 at 03:07 EDT, Martha McConaghy <u...@vm.marist.edu>
wrote:
> However, when we try to ping the adapter on the far side of the router
from
> the network, the packets make it as far as the OSA and then drop.  Our
TCPIP
> routing guru, Alan Altmark, reminded me that the PRIROUTER setting has
to be
> turned on in the vswitch for the OSA to recognize that it will be
routing
> other traffic through it.  I've got that set now, but am still seeing
the
> problem.
>
> If this were a VM TCPIP machine, I would have to also set PRIROUTER on
the
> DEVICE statement to get this to work (I'm tempted to switch over to this
if I
> can't get it working).  Is there an equivelent setting for qeth?  I've
been
> googling around, but haven't found anything.

Yes.  Look for "primary_router" in the Linux Device Driver book.

# echo primary_router > /sys/bus/ccwgroup/drivers/qeth/0.0.<addr>/route4
(Similarly for route6.)

Sorry I forgot to remind you of the need for primary router status in the
guest, too.  This is why I don't like Layer 3 OSA.  Too much to remember.
:-)

Since each guest has its own "dedicated" virtual NIC, all guests can have
primary_router status, but keep in mind that that all incoming packets
with unrecognized (by CP) destinations IPs are copied to all guests with
primary or active secondary router status.  (The VSWITCH doesn't have
"learning mode" and doesn't maintaing a forwarding database.)

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556