>>> On 7/3/2012 at 08:03 AM, Ben Duncan <b...@linux4ms.net> wrote:
> I have access to the guest via ssh, but that has to be set up manually
> (ipconfig , route ..etc) every time the
> system gets rebooted.

Then whoever does this should try issuing these commands as root:
If the interface has already been manually configured: ifdown eth0
Then,
qeth_configure 0.0.0600 0.0.0601 0.0.0602 0
qeth_configure 0.0.0600 0.0.0601 0.0.0602 1
If the interface doesn't come back up automatically: ifup eth0
And perhaps the route command.

Make backups of /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0 and
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules files before doing that.  I'm
interested in seeing if there are any differences that show up if things start
working.

-snip-

> Nor is yast, since It doesnt' work on the z/VM 3270 terminal ;> ...

For working with network interfaces (and a lot of other things), YaST can work
from the command-line.  Try "yast lan help" to see some of the options.

Regardless, you might want to consider setting up the Terminal Server that is
available in SLES11 SP1.  It would help a lot with situations like this.