On Tuesday, 07/17/2012 at 11:34 EDT, "Norris, Chet"
<chester.m.norri...@marriott.com> wrote:
> It sounds like Alan's "HiperSocket VSWITCH Bridge" could be an option,
but
> multiple people (including Alan) have recommended using direct
Hipersocket
> device definitions for each zLinux user.

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding.  I have no objection to real
HiperSockets for backups (or any other reason) as long as you realize that
HiperSockets consume z CPU cycles since it is the CPU that moves the data,
not the IOPs.

> If I make it simple and define unique devices to each user, how do I
fail over
> to a different device if MVS moves to another machine? I'm also going to
be
> limited as to the number of zLinux users on any given CHPID, or is that
number
> high enough that its not an issue?

I should have been paying closer attention. The HiperSocket VSWITCH bridge
is specifically designed to give you the performance benefit of real
HiperSockets when the target is in a neighboring LPAR, but the flexibility
to transparently use ethernets when the target is elsewhere.  There's no
longer any need to configure a secondary paths in order to accommodate the
ripping noise you hear when HiperSockets partners are torn out of the CEC
(e.g. DR or failover configs).

BUT, the bridge only works with MVS when the bridge is configured to use
the IEDN in a zEnterprise ensemble (OSX chpids).  For non-ensemble
configurations (OSD chpids), z/OS drives the HiperSocket in a way that
prevents use of the bridge.  Also, be aware that the bridge is available
only on a z196 or z114 with z/VM 6.2.

Across all HiperSocket chpids, you have have 12K unit addresses.  Since
each host/guest uses 3 UAs, you can have up to 4096 hosts using
HiperSockets on the CEC.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556