On Sunday, 07/29/2012 at 05:14 EDT, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net>
wrote:
> In any case, I think Mike's question is a good one: if chccwdev needs a
> 'udevadm settle' to operate correctly, why isn't it doing it itself? It
seems
> like we should be able to rely on chccwdev operations being atomic.

This seems like the wrong question.  Rather, why is the creation of
/dev/xxxxx  running asynchronously?  I can appreciate that there are
asynchronous *user space* things that want to kick off when a device is
added, but creation of the /dev entry?

I mean, how is fstab able to do its job if the devices referenced therein
might, in theory, not be defined, yet?  Is this an issue on other
platforms, too?

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556