Hi, Mike, --

I believe I have heard of your work before.

> (1) first, does my quest seem appropriate for this list? and if so, my
> first question:

Since A: you're porting to Linux and B: zLinux runs on mainframe HW
(and CISC runs on mainframe HW), it would seem appropriate, yes.

> (2) TSO & CMS provide a separation between the name of a file
> internally (ddname) and the external name of the file (dsname), with
> some kind of control card (DD, ALLOC, FILEDEF, etc) to be provided at
> run time to connect the two.   ...

MVS 'DD' statements strike me as the moral equivalent of Unix file
descriptors.  (Same goes for CMS FILEDEF operations.)  Since MVS and
CMS now possess actual Unix file descriptors, the picture is cloudy
and the water is muddy.

If you could come up with a way to hash DD/FILEDEF names into file
descriptor numbers, then it would be elegant.  (Or at least novel.)
Another thought that comes to mind is named pipes, but they represent
an entirely different mechanism, so I say leave them out of it all.
(But maybe try named sockets?)

An awful lot of "porting" has too-strict adherence to the original details.
Go for the original concept or or intent or "feel" or "flavor".

How much of your work overlaps TX Series? (Since TX Series is a CICS
wannabe but runs on Unix.)  To be specific, have you been able to
glean from that body of work? (Not having any idea how much is public
spec.)

-- R;
Rick Troth
Velocity Software