> MVS 'DD' statements strike me as the moral equivalent of Unix file
> descriptors.  (Same goes for CMS FILEDEF operations.)  Since MVS and CMS
> now possess actual Unix file descriptors, the picture is cloudy and the water
> is muddy.

Not really -- one more level of indirection is involved. He's trying to come up
with a way to connect a logical data source/sink in an app with external data.
You'd use a file descriptor to do the I/O to the actual data via the task
monitor once the source/sink -> data mapping was identified and the task
monitor connected it to the application.

Other  toolsets that have dealt with this concept are Microfocus COBOL, and the
open-source GNU Cobol compiler. They went the environment variable and/or
config file route.

Given that this is a CICS clone, you're likely to be dealing with the same set
of people, so don't reinvent the wheel if you don't have to.