SQLite might be very nice to emulate some parts of VSAM, mainly KSDS (keyed)
with alternate indices. I don't see where it would be correct for ESDS (the
only other VSAM supported by CICS). Another thing which might be useful could
be Berkeley DB:
<quote>
The Berkeley Database (Berkeley DB) is a programmatic toolkit that
provides embedded database support for both traditional and
client/server applications. The Berkeley DB includes B+tree, Extended
Linear Hashing, Fixed and Variable-length record access methods,
transactions, locking, logging, shared memory caching, and database
recovery. The Berkeley DB supports C, C++, Java, and Perl APIs. It is
used by many applications, including Python and Perl, so this should
be installed on all systems.
</quote>

I just don't know if it supports the concept of an alternate index/key.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group