-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of McKown,
John
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:46 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: zLinux support of non-mainframe disk storage

OSA card??? You can attach standard SAN storage (SCSI?) to a z series and
access it via an FCP card. An FCP card is basically a FICON channel with
specialized microcode. I *will* be corrected if my memory has ECC checked on
this. We don't use them. z/VM and z/Linux (and z/VSE) support FCP attached
DASD. And I think you need another "gizmo", an SVC (SAN Volume Controller).

I am so jealous of people who work at a shop which really uses the z. We are
moribund on the z. IT Management is convinced that "Windows is the one, true
way!"

Sorry to hear that....

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone *

For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/

This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you
have received this email in error, please notify the system manager. This
individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not
immediately by e-mail if you have received this message by mistake and delete
this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you are