> I had forgotten about iSCSI, as mentioned by another person. I don't think
> that z/VM supports iSCSI attached DASD as a DASD device.

It doesn't, but Linux is perfectly happy to use it once it's up to the point of
having a network.

> If true, you'll still
> need some channel attached disk for z/VM and, I think, the z/Linux "boot"
> DASD. I don't know if z/Linux under z/VM can boot from an iSCSI device.

It can't, but you can use Rick Troth's R/O root device trick to get to the
point where you have a network, and then pivot onto a iSCSI device as your root
filesystem.
A little bit tricky to set up, but works fine.