John,

am Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 08:24:04AM -0600 hast du folgendes geschrieben:
> Well, I know that downloading the 160 Gig uncompressed data takes
> about 8 hours on the 10 Gig/sec Ethernet connection. I then bzip2
> compress [...]

don't do that. If you just need a compression on such a high throughput
connection, just use gzip. If throughput is the limiting factor, not CPU, use
xz.

Also you should be able to do between 100MB/s to 1GB/s on 10 GE, which is
nowhere near 8h. (Unless you use SSH which does encryption which will slow you
down massively. "-c arcfour" can help, but in these ranges probably not much as
the encryption will not use multiple threads.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern