Yes.

> So the "localhost:" implies that the laptop is mounting *from* NFS
> (ie: client).  It's not.  It wants the CD.
>
> The "vers=3" also implies NFS (client).
>
> Then you get "mount.nfs: access denied", so yeah, the laptop things it is
> importing an NFS filesystem.
> It's not.
>
> > If I omit 'localhost:' from the mount command, the mount works; in that no
> > "hate mail" is returned
> and I can then cd to /tmp/iso and ls the contents of the DVD.  But then the
> SLES install program
> running on z/VM "can't find the repository".
>
> Perfect.  So do that.

Done.

> NOTE:
> You may also need an  'exportfs -a'  after mounting the CD.

Done.

> Your laptop, being the NFS server, needs to serve out the contents of the CD,
> not the empty directory
> over which it got mounted.
> VERY LIKELY, there was an exportfs operation before you mounted the CD, so
> your NFS server code still
> "sees" that empty directory.
>

> NOW ... to the installation end.
>
> You should be able to (from a shell) ...
>
>         mkdir /tmp/testit
>         mount thelaptop:/tmp/iso /tmp/testit
>
> What happens from that?

[root@localhost ~]# mount -o ro,vers=3,nolock /dev/sr0 /tmp/iso
[root@localhost ~]# exportfs -a
[root@localhost ~]# cat /etc/exports
/tmp/iso        *(ro,no_root_squash)
[root@localhost ~]# mkdir /tmp/testit
[root@localhost ~]# mount localhost:/tmp/iso /tmp/testit
<wait about two minutes>
^C
[root@localhost ~]#

   -jc-

Information contained in this e-mail message and in any attachments thereto is
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this
message, delete any copies held on your systems, notify the sender immediately,
and refrain from using or disclosing all or any part of its content to any
other person.