Lots of tips/tricks here.  If you already know, please excuse me.

> Tried issuing 'export DISPLAY=myhostname:0.0' and 'echo $DISPLAY' to see
> it took
> But when I issue YaST2 get the message below:
> Cannot open display

Be sure that "myhostname" is running an X server.  (Is it your PC?  Do
you have one of the X server programs for Windows?  Or maybe it's
running Linux?)  Also be sure that X traffic is not blocked.

BETTER ... use X via SSH tunnel.
>From a system with working X windows, run a command like ...

        ssh -X yourSLES11system

 ... and then 'xterm' from there (to confirm it works).

If you follow the usual rules about not signing on as root, you may
have additional tricks to pull.  We'll cross that bridge once you have
X display working.

--