myhostname is a vmware session running Windows XP

Only have PuTTY for access

No longer allowed to  use Hummingbird Exceed Xwindows

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of
Rick Troth
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 2:57 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: SLES10 SP4 to SLES11 SP2 upgrade issue

Lots of tips/tricks here.  If you already know, please excuse me.

> Tried issuing 'export DISPLAY=myhostname:0.0' and 'echo $DISPLAY' to
> see it took But when I issue YaST2 get the message below:
> Cannot open display

Be sure that "myhostname" is running an X server.  (Is it your PC?  Do
you have one of the X server programs for Windows?  Or maybe it's
running Linux?)  Also be sure that X traffic is not blocked.

BETTER ... use X via SSH tunnel.
>From a system with working X windows, run a command like ...

        ssh -X yourSLES11system

 ... and then 'xterm' from there (to confirm it works).

If you follow the usual rules about not signing on as root, you may have
additional tricks to pull.  We'll cross that bridge once you have X
display working.

--

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
visit http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390
addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying,
disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.