Hi Tomas,

I have a possible solution for you from within Linux. You can set the
device online with raw_track_access enabled.

$ echo 1 > /sys/bus/ccw/devices/0.0.XXXX/raw_track_access
$ chccwdev -e XXXX

Please ignore the few Buffer I/O errors in syslog.

Afterwards you can format the device using dasdfmt. It was not intended
to do so but it works. Just checked on my system. Since the disk is in
raw_track_access mode dasdfmt can not write the volume label to the disk.
So dasdfmt will fail with following error message:

Finished formatting the device.
dasdfmt: Writing the bootstrap IPL1 failed, only wrote -1 bytes.

But the disk is formatted correctly. When you set the disk online
afterwards without raw_track_access you can call fdasd on the device. It
will ask you if it should write the missing volume label to the disk.

$ fdasd /dev/dasde
reading volume label ..: no known label
Should I create a new one? (y/n): y

With this steps done the disk should be ready for usage.

Regards,
Stefan