From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Mark Post
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:05 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: DASD format from Linux only

>>> On 3/13/2013 at 12:20 PM, Stefan Haberland <s...@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi Tomas,
>
> I have a possible solution for you from within Linux. You can set the
> device online with raw_track_access enabled.
>
> $ echo 1 > /sys/bus/ccw/devices/0.0.XXXX/raw_track_access
> $ chccwdev -e XXXX
>
> Please ignore the few Buffer I/O errors in syslog.

I can't say this made a huge amount of difference.  For a 1,000 cylinder TDISK,
I got 572 lines of output from bringing a mis-formatted disk online.  Using the
raw_track_access, I got 444 lines of output.  I don't know if the number of
messages is proportional to the number of cylinders or not, but I suspect it
is.  So, either method is going to be generating a lot of output regardless.  I
think the best method is to CPFMTXA at _least_ cylinder 0 before giving it to a
guest.  It really should be the entire volume, or use the DIRMAINT function to
erase things for you.

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/