From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Rob van
der Heij
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 7:22 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] Big Dumps

I believe it is normal procedure to create a menu entry with zipl to do a
stand-alone dump of the guest. For large guests you may need to prepare for
multi-volume dump. If you're brave you could set up a single set of minidisks
and link them when you need to dump. With FCP you may be able to use a common
LUN.
http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/dw/linux390/docu/l3n5dt11.pdf

The emphasis on VMDUMP was initially because essential information was missing
from a stand-alone dump when the guest used NSS and/or DCSS on z/VM. This is
where VMDUMP was appropriate, plus some code in Linux to read the dump back in
and convert it to Linux dump format. For very large guests, VMDUMP is
unpractical because it's too slow. So one should avoid using NSS in that case
and set up a dump partition.

IIRC the kdump feature is an additional mini-kernel that is loaded in the guest
already during boot time, sitting there ready to take over when you need to
dump (or when the kernel chooses to do so himself). This was already available
for x86 etc and the s390 port was done two years ago.
There was some debate on whether you want to spend the memory on each guest,
but with z/VM that would probably get paged out anyway.

Rob