Of course, as already suggested, adapting the virtual device numbers in the
hypervisor is the primary and easiest choice, if possible.

For cases where this is not an option or not even possible (e.g. WWPN and LUN
with FCP), I strongly recommend to follow the RHEL 6 documentation.

For any resources (transitively, i.e. through and including any LVM or
multipathing) required to bring up and mount the root fs,
dracut needs to be instructed on the kernel command line to activate the base
physical devices
(in contrast to other distro releases, that information is usually (unless you
build a host-only initramfs) not inside the initramfs which makes zipl or even
other dynamic ways of passing kernel boot options at IPL suffice):
* DASD
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ap-s390info.html#ap-s390info-Adding_DASDs-Persistently_setting_online-Part_of_root_file_system
* ZFCP
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ap-s390info-Adding_FCP-Attached_LUNs-Persistently.html#ap-s390info-Adding_FCP-Attached_LUNs-Persistently-Part_of_root_file_system
* And for the probably uncommon case of a network root-fs
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ap-s390info-Adding_a_Network_Device.html#ap-s390info-Adding_a_Network_Device-qeth_Device-Persistently
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ap-s390info-Adding_a_Network_Device-Configuring_network_device_for_Network_Root_File_System.html#ap-s390info-Adding_a_Network_Device-Configuring_network_device_for_Network_Root_File_System

So in the original posting of this thread, I suppose the rd_DASD entries in
/etc/zipl.conf would have to be adjusted and /etc/fstab because RHEL6 uses
by-path for DASDs (in order to enable devno virtualization in the hypervisor as
mentioned at the top of this mail) plus a zipl run.

Above is a significant difference to the persistent activation configuration of
any other (data) volume, i.e. volumes that are *no* dependencies for the root
fs. They only use /etc/dasd.conf, /etc/zfcp.conf, or
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-... respectively. No recreation of
initramfs nor zipl run.

Since RHEL 6.0 there is transparent support for cio_ignore, if you use the
documented ways of persistently configuring devices (both for the root fs as
well as any other).

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ap-s390info.html#ap-s390info-Adding_DASDs-Persistently_setting_online
> cio_ignore is handled transparently for persistent device
> configurations and you do not need to free devices from the ignore
> list manually.
> There is no need to recreate the initramfs.

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ap-s390info-Adding_FCP-Attached_LUNs-Persistently.html#ap-s390info-Adding_FCP-Attached_LUNs-Persistently
> cio_ignore is handled transparently for persistent device
> configurations and you do not need to free devices from the ignore
> list manually.
> There is no more need to recreate the initramfs.

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ap-s390info-Adding_a_Network_Device.html#ap-s390info-Adding_a_Network_Device-qeth_Device-Persistently
> cio_ignore is handled transparently for persistent device
> configurations and you do not need to free devices from the ignore
> list manually.

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ap-s390info-Adding_a_Network_Device-Configuring_network_device_for_Network_Root_File_System.html#ap-s390info-Adding_a_Network_Device-Configuring_network_device_for_Network_Root_File_System
> There is no need to recreate the initramfs. cio_ignore for the
> network channels is handled transparently on boot.

For strictly maintained I/O configurations in the hypervisor (whether in z/VM
or PR/SM), you may remove the cio_ignore option from the kernel command line,
but it's not necessary.

HTH
Steffen Maier

Linux on System z Development

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen