>>> On 12/17/2013 at 10:55 AM, Martha McConaghy <u...@vm.marist.edu> wrote:
> Setting up the mirroring is not a problem.  My question is more related to
> recovery.  I don't know a lot about how LVM works.  How much about the
> volume
> is stored on the LUN itself and how much is stored elsewhere in the opsys
> filesystem?

All of the metadata needed to reconstruct the VG is on the physical disk
itself.  The only time you need anything from /etc/lvm/ is when any of that
gets damaged and needs to be rewritten.

>  If we have a recovery server pointed to the mirrored volume,
> will it see the LVM metadata?

It should, yes.

> Any hints/tips on mirroring LVM volumes?  Or, should we stay away from LVM
> for anything we want to mirror?

You can also use LVM itself to mirror the data.  See "man lvcreate" for the
-m/--mirrors option.

Either way, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use the SVC itself to
mirror the disk(s).