> Thanks for all your answers. I guess I'll give him another vdisk of 4G and if
> he
> needs more, I can "swapgen" another vdisk.

Yeah, small incremental increases usually are good thing.

> Is one 8G swap device better than 4 2G swap devices ? It's a lot easier adding
> another swap device than having to increase an existing swap.

Since there can be only one outstanding I/O for a device number in the s390x
architecture (putting PAV aside, since it doesn't apply to VDISK), having more
than one device _usually_ works better. VDISK is really, really fast, but
having options for Linux to initiate multiple page I/O requests can help.

One pattern I've seen used repeatedly is:

3 swap disks in priority order (see the man page for swapon):

1. VDISK half size of main memory
2. VDISK size of main memory
3. Real MDISK size of main memory.

The VDISKs don't take up space unless they're actually used. You monitor swap
usage, and if you ever get more than half way into the 2nd VDISK, time to up
main memory size. If you get into the real MDISK, things will get really icky
really fast -- something your automation should be checking.

Keep an eye on the amount of VM paging space you have allocated too -- if you
get a workload spike with lots of VDISK active, that's where it comes from, and
if you run out, Bad Things happen. A good target is to have VM page space about
50% full at max, again multiple smaller devices may perform better than larger
devices.