But ... what does 100% mean? 100%? latent demand to 101%? 110%? IFLs
going suspend?
David Kreuter

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: High cpu utilization on vm/linux LPAR
From: Mark Post <mp...@suse.com>
Date: Fri, January 10, 2014 1:26 pm
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU

>>> On 1/10/2014 at 11:00 AM, Victor Echavarry Diaz <vechava...@evertecinc.com>
wrote:
> From a couple of days one of our Linux LPAR are continuously using 100% of
> two cpu. We are on EC12 with z/VM SSI 6.2, two IFL's CPU's, 61440 MB of RAM,
> 4096 Extended RAM and the guest are running on SLES 11SP2. Do anyone has
> similar problems or there is a kernel update for this issue.

Based on Barton's analysis of the data, it looks like this is just what
the workload is consuming, and not a problem. In general, running at
100% busy is _not_ a problem on System z, unless you're not meeting your
service level agreements with your customers. (Some people would envy
you getting the absolute maximum out of your hardware. 100% utilization
while meeting service levels is a _goal_ to them, not something to be
avoided.)

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or