If only I had the flashcopy feature!   That's a good idea though!

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Berthold
Gunreben
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2014 11:47 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] dasdfmt slowness

Hi Marcy,

I have no idea, if this is being investigated. For myself, I found a different
solution. You can dasdfmt one disk, and then do a flashcopy to all other disks
of the same size that should be formatted.

Hope this helps...

Berthold

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 23:18:19 +0000
Marcy Cortes <marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:

> Back Nov 2012 ... a long discussion ensued.
>

> On 08.11.2012 00:58, Marcy Cortes wrote:
> It takes about 42 minutes here to dasdfmt a volume with 65519
> cylinders on it. It takes about 18 minutes to dd an already formatted
> volume over to a new one. It also takes about 19 minutes to fill it up
> with zeros by cat /dev/zero  to it.
>
> Why does dasdfmt take so long?
>
>       This is a known problem which is currently being investigated.
>

>       Regards,
>         Peter Oberparleiter
>
> Any progress in this area?
>

> Marcy

> For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
> email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
> visit http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390
> http://wiki.linuxvm.org/

 Berthold Gunreben                                  Build Service Team
 http://www.suse.de/                                     Maxfeldstr. 5
 SUSE LINUX Products GmbH                   D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany
 GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer  HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)

For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/