I (think I) know that openSSL provides two ways to manage certificates:
1.  A single PEM file that has all of your CA certificates in it.  I say
"single" as a matter of practice.
2.  A single directory that contains all of the certificates stored in
separate PEM files.  You use the c_rehash utility each time you add or
delete a certificate to/from the directory.

And if you're using a private certificate, then you probably have a
separate PEM file that contains it and the certificate chain, and the
cert's associated private key.

I'm curious as to which way most people do it, and why.

Regards,
      Alan

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
alan_altm...@us.ibm.com