Hadn't been following this..   we had the same issue ...  I ended up doing
a VMARC of the INITRD file on one system -- then using 3270 file xfer to
download/upload that to the other z/VM system and it was usable after
unpacking with VMARC.   FTP wasn't an option at the time to the target
system..   Still not sure why 3270 file xfer didn't work to xfer it ..  it
has in the past with other install files..

Scott Rohling