On 08/26/2014 02:56 PM, Mauro Souza wrote:
> The MD5 sums will never match, because zVM uses a 80 char "line lenght" and
> Linux does not. So the file md5sum sees on Linux is not the same it sees on
> zVM.   ...

This and the Code Pages observation Dave Stuart made ... no, no, MD5
(and other hashes) is a binary checksum. It should ignore record
boundaries. (Discussion grows long from here.) If record boundaries are
significant, then you're talking about some plain text file which must
be translated perfectly before being subject to hash/checksum.

Byte-for-byte MD5 (and other) checksum should match between CMS and Linux.
Witness the many download sites and public repositories which include
MD5 and/or SHA-1.
The hashes are excellent for assuring the transfer did not clobber the
file.

I agree there should be better "text checkers", but was shot down in the
days when MIME was first introduced. (I wanted them to ignore linear
white space in some comparisons. CMS to date does not support truly
empty records in minidisk or SFS files. Makes email quirky to process.
What a pain.) But MD5 is binary.

--

Rick Troth
Senior Software Developer