Neale, Felipe,

Thanks for the quick replies. I got to the documentation on the Web and
will bookmark it.

In section 14.1 "Customizing generic.prm", I don't see anything about
live:nfs://, nor root= (maybe I'm missing it).

In section 14.2 "Considerations for Hard Drive Installation on IBM System
z" I read:
"If you wish to boot the installation program from a hard drive, you can
optionally install the zipl boot loader on the same (or a different)
disk..." He he - perhaps this was copied from the Intel book? (sorry,
couldn't resist :))

So I followed Neale's hint and tried adding a line to the parm file:

root=live:nfs://myserver/srv/nfs/rhel7/dvd1

where the dvd1 directory is mounted loopback.

Then after the "Reached target Basic System." message it only waits a few
seconds, so it seems to be communicating with the NFS server. But now it
fails with:
33.492098¨ FS-Cache: Loaded
33.500256¨ FS-Cache: Netfs 'nfs' registered for caching
33.504518¨ Key type dns_resolver registered
33.511157¨ NFS: Registering the id_resolver key type
33.511167¨ Key type id_resolver registered
33.511170¨ Key type id_legacy registered
33.542071¨ dracut: FATAL: failed to download live image: error 1
33.542091¨ dracut: Refusing to continue

I tried again with the line whereby the install program does the NFS mount:

root=live:nfs://myserver/srv/nfs/rhel7/rhel-server-7.0-s390x-dvd.iso

But got the same error.  Both directories  /srv/nfs/rhel7/ and
/srv/nfs/rhel7/dvd1 are NFS exported on 'myserver'.

Any help will be appreciated.

    -Mike M