From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Michael
MacIsaac
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:42 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Installing RHEL 7

Hello list,

1) Has anyone been able to install RHEL 7 on z?
2) Is there any documentation specific to System z?

I was able to download the two ISO images from rhn.redhat.com.  I did not see
any documentation on the Web nor on the mounted ISO (perhaps I'm missing it).

I tried the following steps, but got errors similar to what others have
reported in this forum:

Thanks.

    -Mike M.

-) Mount ISO image on an NFS server and export it
-) Copy kernel and RAMdisk from images/ directory to CMS disk
-) Update parmfile in the images/ directory with new first line:
# cat generic.prm
ro ramdisk_size=40000 cio_ignore=all,!condev
-) Log on to Linux virtual machine
-) DEF STOR 1G
-) IPL CMS
-) run the RHEL7 EXEC - system starts booting:
  7.280120 systemd-udevd: renamed network interface eth0 to enccw0.0.0600 ...

*really, systemd, I will miss the old sysVinit ... (sniff, sniff :))really,
enccw0.0.0600 is better than eth0?  (not a good start systemd :))* ...
  OK    Mounted Configuration File System.
  OK    Reached target System Initialization.
  OK    Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
  OK    Reached target Paths.
  OK    Reached target Basic System.
*install stops here for a couple of minutes, then:* ...
dracut-initqueueÝ706¨: Warning: Could not boot.
  OK    Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
  OK    Reached target Paths.
  OK    Reached target Basic System.
dracut-initqueue: Warning: Could not boot.
dracut-initqueue: Warning: /dev/root does not exist ...
generating /run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/