What we do when people want to actually sign on to VNC as root, below are the
two files that need to be modified, and then xdm and xinetd restarted.

So I made a script to replace those files with root-enabled-logon, and then the
system self-schedules to turn that off at midnight  (because you can't trust
users to lock the door behind them)

This is useful for vendor products that insist on GUI root installs.  If you
are cool with root, and not forced to solve the problem via sudo, then this
works.

Vncallowroot.sh
#!/bin/sh

# Allow root access to gui by replacing file
sudo cp /etc/sysconfig.bak/displaymanager.root /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
sudo cp /etc/opt/gnome/gdm/gdm.conf.root /etc/opt/gnome/gdm/gdm.conf
#
service xdm restart
service xinetd restart
#
# Undoes this at mightnight by Scheduling file to be replaced again at midnight
at -f /opt/local/bin/vncdenyroot midnight

and the vncdenyroot script does the opposite.