>>> On 2/20/2015 at 03:00 PM, Linker Harley - hlinke <harley.lin...@acxiom.com>
wrote:
> I doubt that they expose the difference between an IFL and a GP  (General
> Purpose) engine as an IFL, basically, is a GP engine loaded with different
> microcode (to prevent the engine from being able to run z/OS).  It is a full
> speed engine where a GP engine can be slowed down, via microcode, to reduce
> software licensing costs in a z/OS environment.

Turns out they do.  Mike O'Reilly was right about hyptop.  It appears the
information is available in /sys/kernel/debug/s390_hypfs/diag_204 but it's all
binary information.  If you don't want to use hyptop, you'd need to read the
source code for hyptop to parse the information yourself.

Sounds like a reasonable enhancement request for IBM to add that information to
the output of /proc/cpuinfo or the lscpu command.