Work with IBM.....have IBM communicate on your behalf to Oracle.

From:   Mark Post <mp...@suse.com>
To:     LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU,
Date:   02/25/2015 12:59 PM
Subject:        Re: oracle licensing
Sent by:        Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>

>>> On 2/25/2015 at 10:31 AM, "Levy, Alan" <al...@doitt.nyc.gov> wrote:
> We are in the process of negotiating Oracle licenses. We currently have
2
> cecs and 4 lpars (running 18 shared IFLs in total). We currently have 2
> oracle servers in production (both on the same lpar).
>
> We have been told that we need to have at least one oracle server on
each
> lpar (in other words-  3 dummy servers).

Who is telling you that?  The Oracle sales person?  That sounds very wrong
to me.  It doesn't make any sense (except to a commission-driven sales
rep) to license software on other machines than where it's running.

As Harley replied, you should be contracting for as many licenses as the
LPAR(s) running Oracle have access to.  Perhaps Damian can weigh in here
with a more informed opinion.

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or

The contents of this email are the property of PNC. If it was not addressed to
you, you have no legal right to read it. If you think you received it in error,
please notify the sender. Do not forward or copy without permission of the
sender. This message may be considered a commercial electronic message under
Canadian law or this message may contain an advertisement of a product or
service and thus may constitute a commercial electronic mail message under US
law. You may unsubscribe at any time from receiving commercial electronic
messages from PNC at http://pages.e.pnc.com/globalunsub/
PNC, 249 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222; pnc.com