I should have said you will probably need to use SET EDEV .. CLEAR to
delete the last path -- it may even remove them all - but as I've never
issued it myself - I'm not sure.  When I've messed with things it was to
vary off particular paths - not get rid of the whole device.   You can
DEFINE/DELETE EDEVICE --- but I'm fairly sure that with SET EDEV DELETE
PATH and CLEAR ---   and conversely, ADD PATH  ... you should be able to
release the subchannels without necessarily redefining the EDEVICE and just
dealing with the paths.