We have fixed this problem but made more than one change so we do not know the
cause - it would be nice to know who to blame !

Thanks for all the advice. I followed up Scott's suggestion of creating an exec
to delete the EDEV' s paths and to do SET EDEV uuuu CLEAR so that I could vary
the CHPIDs offline. (I found that to redefine the EDEVs I had to use 'SET EDEV
uuuu' providing the   Type, Attributes, FCP_dev, wwpn and LUN without the text
'ADD PATH' for the first path and with the text 'add path' for the other paths).
There is no zoning or LUN masking involved and the NPIV wwpns had not changed
(the physical NPIVs had changed - they contains the new PCHIPID ids). We had
already tried switching everything in the paths off/on.

 The changes which we made to resolve the problem were: - switch firmware was
upgraded from 6.1.1a to 6.3.0d . Neither had been qualified for zBC12. (We
later upgraded to 7.0.0d)- removed the link between the two SAN switches. The
SAN Volume Controller documentation says that the fibre networks should be
independent. When I disconnected the link I found that one of the SFPs came out
too - it had not 'clicked' into place.- cleaned the z12 end of the fibre links.
All of the zlinuxes then came up and stayed up, except for some which relied on
the ISL being in place. ie the LOADDEV parameters (for loading from  chpid 18)
specified an SVC wwpn which was now accessible only from the other CHPID, which
was easily fixed.
Maybe the problem was due to FCP channel microcode in z12 (or z114/196). Or
maybe there were some fabric errors which were exacerbated by the faster z12
IFLs.
Keith