> As a workaround, is there a command to flush the buffer cache?

I forgot to answer this question: you can drop buffers and cache by running

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

See http://linux-mm.org/Drop_Caches

As far as I remember this did not help at all. My guess about why that did not
help is that when seeking for memory, the kernel will actually try to drop some
caches, but in the case of memory fragmentation that does not help. But feel
free to try.

Other things I tried that did not work or work consistently was repeating the
vmcp call with a possible wait and increasing the server memory to about 2G.
What definitely does not help is increasing the memory with chmem, because that
adds memory not usable by the kernel for this kind of buffer allocation (again,
I forgot the details).

Tomas