I think I might have found a small bug in latest update for SLES12  so this is
just a FYI for everyone who made the same mistake I did.

If you use edevices, you know that the FBA driver  in linux automagically (like
Mark explained it to me few years ago ;) ) creates a device “1”  (dasda1 for
example) on edevice.
You end up with for example dasda + dasda1  and you use dasda1 for OS
(including LVM) . No fdisks, no fdasds.

I haven’t used edevices in a while so I forgot about that and my recent SLES12
install I did on “dasda” (fba) , instead of  “dasda1”. I don’t know how I did
that but I did it and SLES install wizard didn’t complain. System installed
fine and it is was working ok.

pvscan on a build like this returned:
 Volume Groups with the clustered attribute will be inaccessible.
  PV /dev/dasda   VG root   lvm2 [19.53 GiB / 0    free]

while in proper installation it looks like this:

PV /dev/dasda1   VG lnx15   lvm2 [19.53 GiB / 0    free]
  Total: 1 [19.53 GiB] / in use: 1 [19.53 GiB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]

Everything was working fine, until I did an update. Something has changed in
the way LVM recognizes physical  devices and it totally brakes the whole
system. It breaks all the parts where LVM is being called which includes the
little initrd which is loaded by  zipl during the first stage of boot.

I did some debugging and I found that with latest update of SLES (I don’t know
why because the LVM seems to be in the same version) lvm doesn’t like having
metadata on “dasda” (fba) anymore. It likes it  only if its on dasda1
When pvscan scans the disk it ends up with:
  /dev/dasda: Skipping: Partition table signature found
so it does not find the label and it fails to bring online the pv and volume
group.

This edevice, if linked to an original SLES12 or any RHEL is working fine. LVM
finds a label on /dev/dasdb (fba) and I can mount it without a problem.

I didn’t find anything different in lvm.conf which could cause this.

To fix this (well it’s rather a dirty hack), I’ve downloaded a sourcecode of
LVM, found the instruction where it exits on message "Skipping: Partition table
signature found” , commented out that section, compiled, installed this lvm,
rebuilt initrds (both of them) and it worked. I got my system running again.

So the lesson is to make sure that SLES is being installed on dasda1 (fba) not
dasda   (only if you have edevices - with standard ECKDs  it’s probably ok to
do that)

If you already have it on dasda  (FBA) - don’t update it without preparations.

Perhaps SLES shouldn’t allow to install a system this way at all?

Gregory Powiedziuk