I hope my response helps.
There's a deepening tech debt w/r/t partitions.

On 09/30/2015 10:59 PM, Grzegorz Powiedziuk wrote:
> I think I might have found a small bug in latest update for SLES12
> so this is just a FYI for everyone who made the same mistake I did.
>
> If you use edevices, you know that the FBA driver  in linux automagically
> (like Mark explained it to me few years ago ;) ) creates a device “1”
> (dasda1 for example) on edevice.
> You end up with for example dasda + dasda1  and you use dasda1 for OS
> (including LVM) . No fdisks, no fdasds.

For FBA (including EDEV and SAN), use 'fdisk'.
(And forgive me for repeating some details that you already know.)
In my experience, the partition logic sees a default partition even when
one was not explicitly created.
I found that I could get rid of this ghost partition by explicitly
running 'fdisk' and writing an empty partition table. Then "dasda1" goes
away.

> I haven’t used edevices in a while so I forgot about that and my
> recent SLES12 install I did on “dasda” (fba) , instead of  “dasda1”.
> I don’t know how I did that but I did it and SLES install wizard
> didn’t complain. System installed fine and it is was working ok.

Wow! Great!
I don't recall ever having persuaded the installer to go use the whole
disk.
For FBA, it should work straight away because the partition table is
just blocks of data.
(For ECKD, it would not work unless you formatted with 'dasdfmt -d ldl'
to force consistent sized blocks across the whole disk.)

> pvscan on a build like this returned:
>  Volume Groups with the clustered attribute will be inaccessible.
>   PV /dev/dasda   VG root   lvm2 [19.53 GiB / 0    free]
>
> while in proper installation it looks like this:
>
> PV /dev/dasda1   VG lnx15   lvm2 [19.53 GiB / 0    free]
>   Total: 1 [19.53 GiB] / in use: 1 [19.53 GiB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]

Somehow (either manually or via the installer) you did a 'pvcreate' on
the partition in the latter.

Both scans are legit.
LVM2 is (was??) pretty good about recognizing the PV signature and doing
the right thing, partitioned or not.

> Everything was working fine, until I did an update.
> Something has changed in the way LVM recognizes physical  devices
> and it totally brakes the whole system. It breaks all the parts
> where LVM is being called which includes the little initrd
> which is loaded by  zipl during the first stage of boot.

I expect Mark will chime in with the official SUSE response, but sounds
like you should open a trouble ticket.

There is added pressure for the "all disks are partitioned" assumption
with the advent of UEFI.
There may also be a channel for PC-oriented assumptions via zLinux use
of GRUB. (Which is a good idea in general. Just that the GRUB developers
may need to be reminded that not all the world is a PC. And SUSE is very
good about getting those patches fed back up the chain.)
But I'm only speculating.

> I did some debugging and I found that with latest update of SLES
> (I don’t know why because the LVM seems to be in the same version)
> lvm doesn’t like having metadata on “dasda” (fba) anymore.
> It likes it  only if its on dasda1

That would be really really bad news.
But it may be just a symptom of a much smaller bug.

> When pvscan scans the disk it ends up with:
>   /dev/dasda: Skipping: Partition table signature found
> so it does not find the label and it fails to bring online the pv and volume
> group.

So ... the ghost partition raises its head.

I DON'T KNOW if you can 'fdisk' and write an empty partition table on a
disk which is already stamped as a PV. Most filesystems are offset far
enough from block zero that they have no problem with that. (I have
stamped empty partition table on many EXT2/3 volumes. No damage.) Would
have to dig a little to learn where 'pvcreate' stamps the PV signature.

I take back my compliment to LVM2 for "doing the right thing"! [sigh]

> This edevice, if linked to an original SLES12 or any RHEL is working fine.
> LVM finds a label on /dev/dasdb (fba) and I can mount it without a problem.

If you can get a clean level-zero backup of that disk,
then I suggest you try the 'fdisk' trick on it from an alternate system.

> I didn’t find anything different in lvm.conf which could cause this.
>
> To fix this (well it’s rather a dirty hack), I’ve downloaded a
> sourcecode of LVM, found the instruction where it exits on message
> "Skipping: Partition table signature found” , commented out
> that section, compiled, installed this lvm, rebuilt initrds
> (both of them) and it worked. I got my system running again.

Nice work!

> So the lesson is to make sure that SLES is being installed
> on dasda1 (fba) not dasda   (only if you have edevices -
> with standard ECKDs  it’s probably ok to do that)

NO
Don't settle for partitioned disks simply because "we've always done it
that way".
If you're using LVM on SAN (especially multi-path), you really *don't*
want the added complexity of partitioning.
(Here I mean SAN where EDEV is not available, directly to Linux.)

Also keep in mind that ECKD formatted with "-d cdl" is not cleanly blocked.
(Beyond scope of this conversation, but will bite you if you try to use
the "whole disk" for data.)

> If you already have it on dasda  (FBA) - don’t update it without
> preparations.
>
> Perhaps SLES shouldn’t allow to install a system this way at all?

SUSE's installer (and others) has a lot of work to do in a very tricky
context.
I have a hard time faulting it when it misses a step like "clear the
partition table" (when not used). But it does sound like a fair
enhancement request. Just never needed it before because I *always* prep
DASD (all forms) before turning the installer loose on them. (ie: from a
previously installed Linux or with a CMS tool like SWAPGEN.)

-- R; <><