On Wednesday, 12/09/2015 at 08:15 GMT, Barton Robinson
<bar...@velocitysoftware.com> wrote:
> My request to get this fixed was rejected by ibm several years ago. The
> problem is that even though linux doesn't have anything on the vdisk,
> z/vm still has to back it.  I asked for a diagnose as we do with real
> storage - a way for Linux to tell z/vm the page no longer needs
> backing.  So after the swapoff, can you detach the vdisk? That's the
> only way with current technology to tell CP to free it up.

The Linux community didn't like the memory state changes we asked for with
CMM, so I don't see why they would assent to the change you describe.  A
disk is just another address space that would need the same information.
And there's no such thing as "I'm done" with swapping.

External software that is monitoring swapping patterns for a guest would
need to determine that the need for swap space has passed, and take
action.  This might be a good reason to have a larger and smaller
swapdisk.  Leave the little one alone, and reset the larger one when
appropriate.

There's only so much a host can do.   What I would say, however, is that
there should be an easier way to reset the swap disk.  E.g. possibly just
re-formatting it could cause a formatted page to be released.  We'd need
some input from Bill Holder on that.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323