I have MDC turned off on all linux client dasd volumes except the boot volume.
The data volumes/file systems are large > 400GBs with random i/o over the whole
file system.

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of
Duerbusch, Tom
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2015 3:08 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: New Subscriber's first question.

Hi Bruce

A conversion piece that is frequently forgotten during VM upgrades is what is
your MDC (minidisk cache) setting?

Q MDC

The default (perhaps use to be) all storage was available.
Most of us set it to a smaller amount.
Once it has been set, it is set forever (unless a performance monitor tells you
to use a different about).  And hence, easily forgotten.

Those of us that run second level VM systems usually hit a "rude awaking"
when MDC settings are allowed to run "free and wild" <G>.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting